When I was at the Church History Library I discovered a journal by Levi Jackman that I had not heard of before, one that documented two of his missions. The first was from Missouri to Kirtland in 1835, the second was from Nauvoo to the Alton, Illinois, area in 1844. The second mission was cut short by the death of Joseph and Hyrum. The events of the journals had been condensed by Levi Jackman and included in his first attempt at an autobiography, titled “A Short Sketch of the Life of Levi Jackman.” However, as I compared the two, I realized that there were many interesting and historical details that were included in the Journal but left out of the autobiographical sketch. I scanned the microfilm images, transcribed the 100+ pages of his journal, and set it side-by-side with his autobiographical sketch.

This treatment of my ancestor’s journal and autobiography won’t be of much interest to most people, and probably not even most descendants, but for a few, it may prove enlightening and helpful. The following PDF files contain the side-by-side comparison and the original document images, hosted in two places (some have had trouble in the past downloading from this site).

PDF files hosted on bradjackman.com:

Levi Jackman Journal Comparison

Levi Jackman Journal Images

Hosted through Google Drive:

Two PDFs and separate JPGs


For the benefit of those who may be searching for information on Google, I’ll include the entire text of the journal below, so Google can index it and provide information in search results.

Levi Jackman Journal, MS 8362

Names of People Baptized by L. Jackman

  1. A.B. Jackman
  2. Betsy Ann Fassett
  3. Polly Hanks
  4. Sarah Alley
  5. Jane Savage
  6. Sara Varvel
  7. Peter Savage
  8. Sarah Fannon
  9. Thomas N Tade
  10. Amelia Tade
  11. Dulsenie Ringo
  12. Mary Williamson
  13. Nancy Hill
  14. Harvey Taylor

An account of my journey from Clay Co., Missouri, to Kirtland, Ohio. I started on Monday the 4th day of May, 1835, in company with Priest Baldwin. We visited several of the brethren, took dinner with Brother Cowen in Liberty, and stayed overnight with Brother Sheffield Daniels and traveled on that day about 18 miles.

Tuesday, 5th. We went one mile and ate breakfast with Brother Ezekiel Peck and in the evening arrived in Richmond the county town of Ray and stopped with one Justice Pooler who once belonged to the Church. We traveled on this day about 24 miles.

Wednesday, 6th. We passed through a prairie of 24 miles (we went 32 miles). It was a low flat and we stopped in the County of Carroll on the bank of the river Wakonda with a man by the name of Carey. He was a fine man. He did not charge us anything. It rained in the night.

Thursday, 7th. It was rather muddy walking in morning but we started on and went four miles and took break with one James Lucks. We then went on and passed through prairie the most of the day. We traveled forty five miles to the Chariton ferry where we found some of brethren and stayed with one Brother Nichols.

Friday, 8th. It had the appearance of a rainy day so we stayed and held a meeting in the evening. The Church in this place is composed of families with fifteen members. They manifest good desires and the spirit of the Lord was with us. We baptized two, namely A.B. Jackman and Betsy Ann Fossett, and we had a time of rejoicing with them.

Saturday, 9th. We started on, traveling 32 miles and stopped with one Mr. Kimbo in Randolph County.

Sunday, 10th. Went four miles, took breakfast with one Mr. Breasher. This day we was under the necessity [of] wading through a several of the branches of the salt river and after traveling 37 miles we stayed with Brother I. Allred in the Salt River Church, Monroe County.

Monday, 11th. This day we tarried with the brethren and had some things washed. We found them in good faith and doing well.

Tuesday 12th. We traveled on until about night and tried to stop but could not until about dark. We stopped with one Mr. Lewis in the County Pike. He was a Baptist yet he and his wife used us with grate friendship as could be asked for. We traveled that day about 27 miles.

Wednesday 13th. We stopped after breakfast and went to Bolen Green, 15 miles, by about one o’clock and stopped with one Mr. McBride. We found living in this town four families of the church. They mostly got together and we spent the rest of the day and evening in discoursing on the things of the Kingdom. One of this number moved from the state of Ohio with this family and good with a hand wagon last summer. There are a few more living from three to eight miles from town. They informed us that they mostly meet together every Sabbath and were mostly doing well, such as we see. Appeared to be glad to receive teaching and manifested desires to become cleansed from all sin.

Thursday 14th. We left Bolen Green after breakfast for Louisiana [the town], a distance of 12 miles. The day was showery, which made it rather bad traveling, but we arrived at that place about 2 o’clock pm. It is a small town on the Mississippi River which is one mile two chains wide. The ferry is kept by a gentleman by the name Burnett. We went across the flats to the bluffs and passed through a small town by the name of Atlas. We then passed down the bluff road six miles further and stopped with a man who was a gentleman by the name of Kurr in the County of Pike. This day we traveled about 24 miles.

Friday 15th. We started after breakfast and bent our course to Waggoner’s ferry over the Illinois River. 2 ½ miles from that place found Brother Aaron Holden. He was one of that little church which Brothers McLellen & P. Pratt. We slept overnight. This is in the County Green, the place Bluffsdale. We traveled about 20 miles.

Saturday 16th. After breakfast we started on and passed by Carrolton, the County town of Green County. We went on to the Macoupin prairie and slept with Mr. Levi Mynick. We went that day about 22 mi. This brother was one of the number that believed the preaching of William & Parley on Apple Creek, but moved to this place this spring. He and his wife a good disciples and stand fast in the faith although there is no other witness many miles from this place.

Sabbath, 17th. We intended to hold a meeting on this day as there had not any in this place, but it happened to be the preaching day of a Baptist Missionary who lives in this place and preaches one fourth part of the time here and has a salary of five hundred dollars per year from the East. His name is Lemmon. We went to hear him and gave an appointment for the next day, 4 pm.

Monday 18th. According we went and behold Mr. Lemmon was the first on the sod to take care of his sheep and their fleeces. He gave good attention while we set forth the gospel as it was in the beginning and the necessity of more revelation that people might become of one heart and mind, etc. After doing this and bearing testimony to the Book of Mormon, we felt as if we had done our duty and would left the place in peace, but the Priest, fearing that his craft might be in danger, he got up and declared his astonishment to and his watch care over his flock, crying delusions, false prophets, and all manner of infamy, being assisted by a small sheet supposed to be printed by the Rev. Mr. Peck who contended against Mr. Parley when they were in this country. This little sheet contains so many bare faced falsehoods we could no more feign to have it palmed on the people than he could the Book of Mormon. But night had come on and we had to leave the place but agreed to speak further on the subject next Sabbath at 12 o’clock, which we intend to if God permits.

Nothing took place of importance during the week.

Sabbath, 24th. It was a showery day and the appointment at twelve was not attended but we gave out one at 4 o’clock and attended. But a few attended, but among the number was a Methodist Priest and after we had fairly investigated the little book and showed the many falsehoods it contained, we then set forth the gospel, our faith, etc. After which the Methodist Priest often which arose and strove to do something, made out but little and sat down. We think our labors in that place will remove prejudice from the mind of some.

Monday, 25th. We left the house of our beloved brother Levi Myrick and returned by the way of Carrolton so as to get further north. We traveled till in the afternoon and took dinner with a very friendly man and after talking a spell on the affairs of the Lord we maintained our travels till about night and it looked as though a heavy shower was about to fall on us. We stopped in a little old cabin and found the people very friendly and desirous to know concerning our faith. We laid the gospel and many other things before them. They appeared to be much blessed with it as far as they desired to believe. We traveled this day about 24 miles. The name of the man was Richard R. Keele in the County of Greene.

Tuesday, 26th. It had been rainy through the night and the prairie in this country is low and flat which made it very wet traveling. We had not traveled far before the rain descended in torrents. The country laying flat, we soon had to wade in many places and we soon became very wet, notwithstanding our cotton trousers. We traveled about 6 miles and stopped with one W. J. Metclean on the west line of Macoupin  County. We stopped about 2 o’clock and spent the time in reading and explaining the things of the Kingdom. They, and such as came in, were much delighted with the things and appeared to be anxious to learn them. Mr. Metclean appeared to be an intelligent man.

Wednesday 27th. We started and went about 14 miles and it being very showery we stopped with John Turner, a sister’s husband of Brother J. Fosett. In the evening some men came in desiring as they said to know our faith, etc. One of which called himself Methodist and we was informed that was an exhorter. He was a great talker, he repeated many passages of scripture, etc., but when he was informed of the signs that should follow them that believe, he said that that was taken from our Mormon Book and would not believe that it was in the Bible until we got the Bible. After having a long talk with him and warning him to repent etc., we would not talk any more with him.

A few days before this we found a man that would not believe that his Bible read like ours until they were compared together. So great is the ignorance and darkness that pervades the minds of man. We tried to get a meeting but the people [made it so] that we could not get any.

Thursday 28th. We started on and passed through considerable low and wet prairie and in a large one we received a very heavy shower and got very wet. We travelled that day about 30 miles and stopped with one Mogires.

Friday 29th. We passed over some handsome prairie but shortly came on to wet ground again. We traveled ten miles and came to the town of Springfield, capital of Sangamon County, thence through Rochester, thence southeast through low and wet prairie. We traveled about 24 miles and stopped with a widow Campbell.

Saturday 30th. Traveled fifteen miles over a low and wet prairie and came to a small church on Flat Branch. There is six families living in this place by the name of Obanian, A. Smith, J. Smith, J. Burton, J. McCarrel, E. Miller.

Sabbath 31st. We held a meeting with them. The most of them attended and they manifested a good degree of the spirit and strong faith in the Lord and in his works. They enjoy a great union. Brother A. Smith and E. Miller concluded if we would stay until Wednesday they would go with us a piece on our journey, so we concluded to, and we got some clothes washed, wrote some letters, etc. on Monday and Tuesday.

Wednesday 3rd of June. The morning was rainy and a prairie of 22 miles of low wet land lay before us and severe streams to cross and we thought best to tarry one day more. We had a meeting in the P.M. and the Spirit of the Lord witnessed to me that the little church was sealed unto eternal life and when I proclaimed it to them the Spirit of the Lord descended on us all to such great a degree as I never before beheld. It seemed that we were all filled, even to a fullness.

Thursday 4th. We left them in company with Brother Miller and Smith. We crossed the prairie and had to wade considerably through water two feet and upward deep. We traveled about 25 miles and stopped,  Brother Miller and I, at one Balley, they was desirous that we should preach. They called in a few of the neighbors and an able discourse was delivered by Brother Miller and followed by Brother Smith and Baldwin. the people paid good attention and appeared to be softening their feelings. This is in the County of Shelby.

Friday 5th. We started, went by the way of Big Grove (?) with the intention of preaching. We tried several times but we did not succeed. We turned our course toward to the Terre Haute road, traveled about 18 miles, stopped with one Mr. Runalds.

Saturday 6th of June. Started on but concluded to keep ____ of ____  ______ road [ink is faint here]. Traveled __ miles, trying all along for a chance to preach but could not get any. Took dinner with one Armon Trout. We was treated with the greatest friendship. We traveled on until evening and stopped with one William G. Haden, Esq. He at first appeared to feel jealous of us but we laid that whole affair plain before them which removed his prejudices and he entertained us fondly and as we could not get any chance to preach and the people was going to a Baptist meeting we thought best to cross the prairie after breakfast. Traveled this day about 12 miles. We was detained some by the rain.

Sabbath, 7th. Not getting any chance to preach, we started on. Passed on to the County of Cole. Crossed the prairie and strove for meeting but could not get any. We stopped in many houses, teached & expounded, etc. Took dinner with one Isaac Garret, nearly firm people and I believe they will be saved. We travelled about 13 miles and stopped with one Marten. They were hard, stern, and unbelieving. They gave us supper and lodging but not any breakfast. They, like many others, required a sign. We preach the gospel to them and left them. It rained very hard though this night.

Monday 8th of June. We went a small distance and took breakfast with one Guymon. He was a Baptist but he was soft and gave good attention [to] our teaching. It was very wet, we had to wade much. We passed through a small town by the name of Charleston. We went on to a river about three miles from town, waded through much water and mud. About the middle of the afternoon we came on to the main Terre Haute road and took dinner with one Shoats, he treated us kindly. At this place we parted with Brothers Miller and Smith. We found them to be good, faithful brethren. We traveled about 18 miles, stopped with one Terrice in the County of Edgar. He treated us with civility but was not disposed to feed us for nothing. We let him have a pair of slippers, he paid us 25 cents back and we went on our way.

Tuesday 9th of June. Passed through a small town today by the name of Granview. [Ink becomes very faint] … by the name of Paris in the County of Edgar. We had to wade through mud and water in many places. Some of the road was good. We went four miles and found Brother Thomas Guymon.  There was none of the family but himself that belonged to the church yet. They appeared to be glad to see us. We traveled that day about 21 miles. Brother Guymon was baptized by Brother Rothborn when he and _____ moved to Zion.  He informed us that their neighbors was anxious to hear more from this people and desired that we should stop and hold a meeting. It appeared to be to be a great thing to preach to a people who had sit under the voice of Brother ______ William, Parley, etc., but we ____ it was our duty to do so and they required it, we accordingly gave an appointment next day at 12 o’clock.

Wednesday 10th of June. According to appointment, the people assembled. We had … to in speaking. They gave good attention and desired that we should _____ again the next day. We agreed, they gave out one to be at the house of Jes. Syder about ____ from that place at one o’clock next day. We was invited home with one William Hanks. We found a believer in the work but had not yet obeyed.

Thursday 11th of June. The people gathered about thirty, gave good attention and wished to hear again. We found that there was a number that believed but had hardly courage to obey. Feeling anxious for them we agreed to stay and preach on Sabbath day, feeling in hopes that some would get confidence to obey. We have not as yet found any persecution in this place but we have found great liberty in speaking. A man by the name of Nelson Numley invited us to go to his house on Friday night. He is the Representative for this County of Edgar. He is a smart man and very believing.

Sabbath, 14th of June. The people came, a large company. We preached the gospel to them and a great share of them appeared to be delighted with the truth, however as it is common, a Baptist preacher came and after the people were dismissed he took the opportunity to tell the people that all the prophesies were fulfilled and that we had preached lies to them, but he could not make the people believe it and he lost ground by it. The people became very tender and would shed tears while we were speaking but could not hardly consent to obey.

Monday 15th of June. We informed the people where we stayed that it was of no use for us to stay any longer. There was a man and his wife in at the same time which had been convinced of the truth after breakfast. We started leaving, the most of them in tears. We had not got far before the men overtook us and went as far as the next neighbors and shortly their wives came and some of [them] desired to obey. We appointed a meeting next day.

Tuesday, 16th of June. The people came from 7 or 8 miles, paid good attention and many was cut to the heart. We went to the water as five obeyed and many wept aloud. We spent our time visiting from house to house until Thursday. We found many that was fully believing and what kept them back I don’t know.

Thursday 18th of June. In the afternoon we met for confirmation meeting. There were several present that was much believing but we did not receive so great a blessing as I was in hopes for, but we had a good time. The names of those that were baptized were: Gabriel Taylor, Delila Taylor, William Hanks, Polly Rhodes, Sariah Guymon.

Friday 19th of June. I spent the most of the day in writing letters, etc.

Saturday 20th of June. Spent the day in study, etc.

Sabbath, 21st of June. Held meeting at Brother Hanks’. Had a large and attentive congregation. After meeting the brethren met. The brethren made choice of Brother Thomas Guymon for their leader. I ordained him a Priest.

Monday, 22nd of June. Visited several of the neighbors, found many believing.

Tuesday, 23rd June. Held a meeting at five o’clock p.m. and six more concluded to obey they gospel, namely: Thomas Rhodes, Elizabeth Rhodes, Polly Hanks, Sarah Aley, Jane Savage, Sarah Varvil. Thus the work of the Lord began to work among the people.

Wednesday, 24th of June. Went about five miles out to the house of one Thomas Hickley. He has been believing for as at least two years but does not yet obey.

Thursday, 25th of June. Held a meeting at his house at 4 o’clock p.m. From 30 to 40 attended, gave good attention.

Friday 26th of June. Returned to Brother Rhodes’. Spend the remainder of the [day] in visiting the brethren and others, teaching them the things of the Lord.

Saturday, 27th June. Spend the day in visiting the people and reading, etc.

Sabbath, 28th of June. Held meeting at the house of Brother Hanks at 12 o’clock. A large congregation came together. Brother Baldwin spoke first and I followed. We had good liberty in speaking. The most of the people gave good attention, yet some of them would laugh and make fun of what was said and many believed all we preached excepting the new book, yet one came forward by the name of Peter Savage with a broken heart and desired to obey. Some stayed after meeting for the purpose of contention but they had it among themselves. After we got though, we went home with Thomas N. Tade, he and his wife are believing but have not yet obeyed. His wife has been in a very weakly way for fourteen years and is not able to do her work but a small part of the time.

Monday, 29 June. She was desirous that I should pray for and lay hands on her. I felt the spirit to do so and she received a portion of the spirit of the Lord but did not feel any particular operation on her desires at that time. She however got about in a day or two. We spent our time until friday in visiting our brethren and friends. Many were believing but was tempted to believe that they was not worthy to obey, thinking they must become holy before it would do to obey the commands of the Lord, although we would convince them of the truth of it, yet immediately they would suffer themselves to be tempted again on the same ground as before.

Friday, 3rd of July, 1835. At 4 o’clock p.m. we held a meeting to confirm those that had last obeyed and many were pricked in the heart but did not obey.

Saturday 4th of July. One old lady by the name of Elizabeth O’Hair became so thoroughly convince that this morning after a restless night she desired to obey and did so. One more concluded to obey and we appointed a meeting some two hours high at evening. [Line after this entry] Yesterday I ordained Brother Thomas Rhodes to the office of an Elder. The adversary has been much disturbed for some days and at this time heavy threats are laid out against us be we think it is better to serve God than man and so we intend to do accordingly. We met and baptized a young woman by the name of Sarah Fannon (and Mary Williamson).

Sabbath 5th of July. We met for teaching our brethren and for confirming some and breaking bread, etc. There was a large collection of people and we spent some time in speaking to them and then we attended to the other duties, after which three more concluded to obey the Lord, namely: Thomas N. Tade, Amelia Tade, Dulsenia Ringo. After that we had a controversy with a Baptist Priest by the name of [a blank left, no name given]. After we found that he would not believe the bible without spiritualizing the scriptures, he received a faithful warning to repent. We met again after candlelight, expecting that it would be the last time that we should meet with them, as we intended to start on Tuesday. Those that obeyed that day was confirmed. We gave such introductions as we thought proper for them and dismissed.

Monday 6th of July. I wrote a letter to Kirtland, attended to some business and the brethren and sisters were so loath to let us go that we concluded to meet again that evening. We spent the rest of the day in visiting, encouraging the members, etc. We met according to appointment. Two more obeyed by the names of John Lansaw, Permelia Lansaw. We had a time of rejoicing. They rejoiced much and wept much. Some stayed all night. It was a trying time for us all but duty required it and we must obey.

Tuesday 7th July. This morning we had the satisfaction of baptizing one [who] had been waiting a long time to become better prepared by the name of Nancy Hill. We left many in tears and started on. We traveled sixteen miles and crossed the Wabash river. On the east side stands the town of Terre Haute, the capital of Vigo County in the state of Indiana. We went about five miles and happened to stop at the house of a brother Daniel Shearer. We traveled this day about 21 miles.

Wednesday 8 July. It rained through the night, laid the dust and cooled the air. It had been hot. We started on in the morning, passed through a number of small towns. Traveled thirty two miles. Found the people very hard hearted and it was with great difficulty that we got a chance to stay with anybody but at last we succeeded and stayed with one Elisha Harrison. He did not say much but she was a hard case. We had to pay him seventy five cents. This is in the County of Putney.

Thursday 9th July. We left them and went on. Passed through many small towns and tried at night to get a place to stop but it [was] after many trials that we got a chance to stay in a house to screen us from the night air and not a bite of anything to eat. I thought of my home which I had left to point out to the people the way of eternal life and they have no desire to hear us preach, nor feed us. I thought of that beloved few which we had just left who expressed their fears that we should not be well provided for when we left them but we had left all behind and the Lord only knows future events. In this situation we lay down to rest on the west manger of the City of Indianapolis after traveling thirty three miles.

Friday 10th July. We had six cents left with which we bought some bread which we eat for breakfast, but this is a hard place for disciples. However, about noon we stopped at a house where they was about sitting down to dinner and they invited us and we was glad of the opportunity. We found them wicked people as to the things of God, yet they did well by us for which we thanked God and them too. We went on to a little town by the name of Charlottesville and stopped at a tavern, his name was Woods, he was a gentle man but could not keep us without any pay, so we was under the necessity of paying out of the money which was sent for papers. [Traveled] 5 miles.

Saturday 11. We was informed that there was a church lately built up about five miles north. We went and found but one that had obeyed whose name was Ellner Mayerd. Several others are believing yet are not disposed to obey at present.

Sabbath 12 July. We held a meeting at one o’clock p.m. People paid good attention, found some very friendly and others very hard, persecuting.

Monday 13 July. We left them and went eastward about six miles north of the national road. We went about twenty two miles and [stayed] with Brother Hammer, he is an Elder. This is the place where Brother N??ert baptized two when he went east last fall.

Tuesday 14th July. We struck off for the national road, came into it at a small town called Vandalia. We passed through Centerville, a large handsome town in the County of Wayne and six miles east in a large and handsome town called Richmond and four miles east we crossed the Ohio line into the County of Preble. We stopped at a tavern and agreed for bedding but the man and woman soon began to quarrel at such a rate that we started on till dark and stopped with a.m. We traveled thirty miles this day. We left Indiana behind us and with it, hard inhumane set of people who did not desire [to] hear the gospel and it was with great difficulty that we could get victuals and lodging and had it not been for the money which was sent by us for papers I do not know how we should got anything to eat.

Wednesday 15th July. We traveled thirty two miles this day and stopped one mile west of Dayton.

Thursday 16th July. Crossed the Miami River and passed through the large and beautiful city of Dayton. We traveled thirty two miles.

Friday 17 July. Traveled four miles to Viana and took breakfast. Travelled on, in all thirty miles, and stopped in Franklin County, Prairie Township, with a Granahan, an innkeeper.

Saturday 18 July. Passed through Columbus, went on to Galina in the County of Delaware, [stayed] with one Carpenter. We traveled 29 miles this day.

Sabbath 19 July. Traveled fifteen miles and into the County of Knox, and town of Milford where we found Brother Morrell and a small church of about ten members which appear generally to be steadfast. In the evening we went to hear a man preach who was called a free thinker. They were so charitable as to call all the officers (?) brethren.

Monday 20th July. We tarried this day and held a meeting in the evening at candle lighting. The people paid good attention although the truth seemed to be hard for some to bear.

Tuesday 21 July. We started and went nine miles and passed through a beautiful village called Mount Vernon. We went fifteen miles further, making twenty eight miles and stopped with Mr. S. Garrett in the township of Hanover, Richland County. We passed through much broken land for ten or fifteen miles.

Wednesday 22 July. This day passed through Loudonville and Wooster and traveled 33 miles and stopped within six miles of Chippewa Creek.

Thursday 23 July. Went fifteen miles to New Portage when we found a church of considerable size. We met with them in the afternoon and they appeared to be doing well as far as we could learn.

Friday 24th July. We got a chance to ride in a wagon to Kirtland and we went about twenty five miles to Aurora and turned east to Hiram and stopped with Sister Hinkley, making about thirty five miles. I was received with gladness.

Saturday 25th July. Started for Kirtland and went within six miles. Traveled about thirty miles.

Sabbath 26th July. Went into town and stopped with Brother David Whitmer. Went to meeting in the house of the Lord, or Temple. Brother Sidney Rigdon, he spoke about four hours to about one thousand people.

Tuesday 28 July. I commenced working on the Lord’s house. I labored 194 days.

The house was dedicated on Sunday, the 27th March, 1836, after which and in the course of the same week Elders received their endowments and I think it was as great a time as it was at the day of Pentecost with the Apostles for cloven things as of fire rested on many and they spake with tongues and prophesied and the sick was healed, the lame was made to walk and one had the devil cast out who had been posessed four years, and was confined with chains. He would bite pieces out of his own flesh, none like a beast, and would curse God and the angels and strive to dash out his own brains, and when the devil was cast out he immediately became calm. They took his chains off and he was like another man. Angels appeared to many and great and marvelous things took place in these days.

After this I felt desirous to see my brothers in Pennsylvania and New York states before I returned home. Accordingly, on Monday, 10th of April I started, the ground was lightly covered with snow but soon melted beneath the beams of the morning sun. I traveled about twenty miles and stopped with one William Cahoon.

Tuesday 11 April. Traveled 23 miles and stopped at an inn kept by one Darling in the town and County of Ashtabula.

Wednesday 12th April. Traveled twelve miles and stopped with a Brother by the name of Hartshorn in Springfield, Erie County, Pennsylvania.

Thursday 13th April. This day was rainy which rendered it very disagreeable traveling. I went about 20 miles and left the Lake road and turned southeast. Traveled that day about 23 miles and stopped at an inn at McKane Corners in Erie County.

Friday 14th April. This morning the snow was about 1 & ½ inches deep. The roads was bad, in many places the old snow was to be seen in heaps. I crossed French Creek and traveled that day about 24 miles to Union Mills.

Saturday, 15 April. This I found much hard snow and ice and deep mud in many places. I arrived at my brethren’s house about the middle of the day after having traveled about fourteen miles. They lives in the village of Columbus in Warren County, Pennsylvania. The expressed satisfaction in seeing me for I had not seen them for four years. I spent much of the time in discoursing on the subject of religion and the Book of Mormon, etc., but all my labors appeared to be unavailing.

Tuesday 19 April. This morning I left them with feelings that I cannot well describe, expecting that in all probability it was the last time that I should see their faces till we should appear before the bar of God, but with much struggling I secured my feelings and left them. I traveled on eastward to see other friends and connections. I traveled 27 miles and stopped at Montagues in Ellicott, Chautauqua County.

Wednesday 20 April. This day I traveled 35 miles and stopped in Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County.

Thursday 21 April. I traveled about 6 miles and arrived at the house of my brother Moses. He was not at home but his family was glad to see me for I had not seen them for ten years. The old snow is not very seen in the country.

Saturday 23 April. I left them and went on east to a part of the town of China, a place where I once lived. The place was much altered and but few remained there I had been acquainted with. But I found one David who was glad to see me and I stopped with him after thirty miles through the mud. And it rained and snowed in the early part of the day. I visited several families during my stay and talked on the subject of fullness of the gospel and succeeded in removing prejudices from many of the people.

Monday 25 April. This morning I started for Alexander, Genesee County, the distance of 26 miles, and stopped with John Myer, a brother to my wife. They were rejoiced and much surprised to see me.

Next morning, Tuesday 26 April, I went to my brother James in the village of Alexander, about two miles from John’s. James was not at home but his wife expressed much joy at my arrival. I visited my connections and the connections of my wife until Friday evening, my brother returned home. After bearing testimony of the fullness of the gospel and of the Book of Mormon to them all, I left them on Monday.

Monday, 2nd May. This day I traveled to the city of Buffalo, New York State, 28 miles from Alexander, and on

Tuesday 3rd May. I found my brother Moses and after telling him of the great things of the last days I left him. But to express my feelings on leaving my friends from first to last would be impossible. With difficulty I succeeded in hiding the emotion of my heart until I could get out of their sight when I could no longer restrain the exertion of my bosom. And whether I shall see them again on earth is unknown to me but I trust that the Lord will bless me with the company of at least a part of them on the land of Zion, but I feel that I have done my duty to them, therefore I must leave the event with God. There I came into company with Brother Follett and out meeting was joyous in this land of strangers and more because we were going home. We went on board the steamer Columbia in the harbor of Buffalo at 6 o’clock p.m. and left about 7. We was hindered some with the ice but we landed at Richmond, Ohio, next day, Wednesday 4th May at about half past one p.m., running about 160 miles in about 20 hours including the time we stopped at the different harbors. We reached Kirtland that night and met our brethren with joy.

We then prepared for returning home, and on Tuesday, 17 May, Brother Follett and I started in company with Brother McHenry and his family. We had a wagon and horses belonging to David & John Whitmer. We had good weather for a few days and then it commenced raining and it became very muddy and it was with great difficulty that we continued our journey, but with great exertions we arrived to the place where our brethren lived on Clear Creek, Edgar County, Illinois, on the 5 of June, and I found that being separate from them eleven months had not broken that chord of love which twined about our hearts when we first parted, for they embraced me with all that feeling of love that warms the bosom of the Saints of God. A part of this branch of the church had already moved to Missouri and other company was intending to start in about ten days and they desired that I should stay and go before or lead them to the Land of Promise or to the place of gathering, and when I considered the dangers of the way for people that did not understand the many cunning traps of the adversary on the road, and further their attachment to me and mine to them, I finally concluded to stay and go with them.

Accordingly on Wednesday 8 June, Brother Follett & McHenry started on and on Friday Brother Fisher and Ralph arrived from Kirtland who concluded to stop a few days.

Sabbath 12 June. We attended a meeting in this place. Brother Fisher and Baldwin (who had arrived a few days before) occupied the time. I appointed a meeting to be held on Tuesday, p.m. to do some church business.

Tuesday 14 June. According to the appointment we met and after addressing the brethren on the subject of being faithful to the Lord, etc., we proceeded to business. One brother and sister withdrew, one brethren the hand of fellowship was withdrawn from, after the business of the day was finished I baptized one young lad by the name of Harvey Taylor, we then dispersed and prepared for our journey and on Thursday 16 June, we left our brethren and friends in the vicinity of Clear Creek. We went that day as far as Paris and stopped until next day.

Friday 17 June. This morning before sunrise we called the camp together and organized ourselves in proper order. Our number was forty four.

In July I reached home after having been absent about fifteen months and was received with joy by my family and friends. At this time the spirit of persecution had arisen to such as pitch that those that was moving into that country that belonged to the church were stopped on the road and had to stay until a compromise was entered into which we were permitted to settle in a new county north, afterwards called Caldwell. In this place we hoped to spend our days in peace, but found our mistake, for soon in a little over two years the whole church by order of Governor Boggs (a mobbercrat) was drove from our homes in the cold of winter and robbed of our property and doomed to seek a shelter in some other state, which we did in the state of Illinois where for a season we enjoyed peace and rest. We soon made arrangements and bought a place on the river which had been called Commerce, but altered the name and called in Nauvoo and in the fall of 1840 we commenced to build a Temple.

[two blank pages]

June 5th, 1844. On this day at about 4 o’clock p.m. I started in company with Brother Enoch Burnam on a mission to preach the gospel, intending to go about thirty miles to Alton in Illinois. We went on board the steamer Mendota, a man by the name of Riley was captain. He is a fine man and did not charge us for our passage. Brother N. West and family and Sylvester Huler and Sister Follett took passage on the same boat. We arrived at Alton on Friday the 7th at about 8 o’clock in the morning. We then left them and started East intending to go through Collinsville but we fell in with Brother Jared Carter, an Elder who was preaching in Alton and its vicinity and he invited us to go with him about six miles to see a family by the name of McIntosh, the woman belonged to the church but the man did not at that time. They were very friendly and gave us dinner and we stayed with them until the next morning.

June Saturday 8. This morning after breakfast we started on our way for Collinsville, stopped at a number of houses an found the people very much opposed to our doctrine. About noon we stopped in a house, the man’s name was William Buell, he was a friendly man. He invited us to eat dinner and we spent some time very pleasantly and then went on. We tried to get a chance to preach but in vain for the name of a Mormon would enrage them to a high pitch. We passed through a town called Bunker’s Hill, when near night we tried to get a place to stop but none would let us in. We continued till about nine o’clock when we came to a tavern. They would have let us stayed, as soon as they found out that we were Mormons he drove us from his house, and although we had the privilege by a teamster of laying in his covered wagon, yet others fell upon us with ears of corn, one of which hit me on the leg and lamed me considerably. They also had a long strip of plank which they would flourish about us and punched me in the [body] once. They had a long wagon whip which they used lightly on Brother Barnes (should be Burnam?), and in this way they drove us along and insulted us in various ways and did not at the same time pretend that they had anything against us, only for being Mormons. I got out of their company as soon as I could and hid in the brush by the roadside and remained there all night, although we had a thunderstorm with heavy wind & rain and I had nothing to shelter me but my Portmanteau. Brother Barnes soon left them and passed by me unobserved and went on about four miles through the woods in the dark and found a house to sleep in. As soon as it was light in the morning, Sunday 9th, I started and got no track of him. Found him about 9 o’clock at the [home of] a Mrs. Blackburn. I had traveled this morning about twelve miles and had been without supper and breakfast. By this time was very exceptable. We found in this place a man by the name of James Brown. He and his wife appeared very friendly and believing. We stopped in this place and rested and refashioned ourselves.

Monday, 10 of June. We concluded to stay this day and have some washing done, which they were free to do, and see if we could get a meeting, but with the exception of two families besides Mr. Brown, the had all heard enough of our gospel. And I think they had, for Brother Evans had preached in that place considerably and they would not receive it. We spent the most of the time in conversation and teaching the things pertaining to salvation with which they appeared to be much delighted. Mr. Brown’s son has embraced the gospel and bids fair to become a useful man. Next morning, 11 of June Tuesday, we left them and went about five miles to a place called Brushey Mound (Brush Mound), in this place we had hopes of getting a chance to preach, but the people were behind hand with their work because of the much rain that had fell through the season, and we could get no encouragement, and after taking dinner with a Campbellite Priest and talking with him for about four hours, we started off again to find what is called the Lewis Settlement where we arrived about dark. We were received with feelings of friendship which is very desirable among strangers in a strange land. At this place we found the widow Lewis whose husband was killed at Haun’s Mill in Missouri. She was the only one that belonged to the church in this place, but her husbands’ brothers were very friendly, we could find no encouragement for getting a meeting in this place but we concluded to stop a few days and visit different families and see if we could not do some good in that way.

Wednesday 12 June. We went about three miles and called on a man by the name of Enceminger, of whom we had had a good report because of his friendly disposition. He was very friendly to us and made us welcome to his house to refresh ourselves and to hold meetings, but thought the prejudice of the people was such that it would be hard to get the people to hear us, but we concluded to try it and gave out an appointment for the next Sabbath at three o’clock p.m. This is in Macoupin County.

Thursday 13 June. We went about seven miles to see a brother by the name of Jenson. Stayed with him one night.

Next day, Saturday 14 June. We started back to fill our appointment, but the creek had become so full by the heavy rains that we could not cross them and to turn our course and go to the Lewis settlement again.

Sabbath 15 June. It continued to rain and so [we] had to abandon the idea of filling an appointment and tarried at that place until Monday 16 June. We next went Mr. Enceminger’s and then to Brother Charles Jamison. We gave out an appointment for the next Sabbath at the Union School House where there had been but one or two sermons by any of our elders.

Sabbath June 23. We attended the appointment. The house was full, they behaved as respectful as any people I ever saw with the exception of a Campbellite Priest who came on purpose for a distrubance. After I had done speaking he arose and undertook to destroy the validity of the Book of Covenants by taking a part of sentences and putting his own construction on them. He was a very toungey man and made things look very curious. I replied to him and showed the people his dishonesty, the position he had taken which was very evident to all that were present, and as the people did not ask us to stay or preach any more, we concluded to leave the place and go on out.

Monday June 24 1844. Not feeling willing to leave the people without knowing none of their feelings in regard to our staying longer with them, we went to quite a number of them to learn their wishes, and we found they were entirely indifferent about it. It was about two o’clock p.m. when we started and we came by through a prairie of fifteen miles without any road or trail and we had to wade through many ponds of considerable width of from 1 ½ to two feet and more of water. It was at about dark we got to a house where we were kindly received and had a chance to dry and refresh ourselves.

Tuesday 25 June. We left them and went on about northeast, we came to a small creek but too deep to wade. A man took us over in a canoe for which I had to give him neck handkerchief. We stopped that night with a Methodist family by the name of Christopher Cetchum. They were very fine of hearing people and may God bless them for their kindness to us.

Wednesday June 26. We traveled this day a northeast course till afternoon when we struck across the prairie about north or a little east. It rained some but in consequence of the eastern rains which had been falling all the season the lowlands were full of water and we had to wade a good share of the way across which was fifteen miles. The first house we came to we tried to stay but the man said his house was small and his family filled it and he could not keep inn. A heavy shower was hanging over us and had then began to sprinkle but we had to go. We went about three quarters of a mile and called to a good looking house and asked the man to let us stay, he was willing at first but when we told him that we were Mormon elders he would not let us stay. The rain was then falling heavy on us but go we must. His name was Wilson. We called to another house by but he said his house was too small, so we had [to] go again whilst the rain was pouring down on us. We stopped on the next house, the man’s name George W. Falconar, he was a Methodist and took us in and made us well for which I pray God to bless him and his house (unreadable). It rained hard all night and raised the streams to an overflowing. At this place we struck the main Springfield road.

Thursday 27 June. We started on and went about half a mile to a creek that was very deep and we was detained till about eleven o’clock a.m. when we crossed on some driftwood. We tried to get some dinner but the people would not give us any. We traveled this day about 20 miles and had to wade much of the way and in a number of places we waded through creeks nearly waist deep. At night we found a Brother by the name of Best with whom we stayed overnight.

Friday June 28. We started after noon and in crossing the Ocaw we had to wade waist deep before we could reach the bridge. We went about one mile and stopped with a Brother Albert who came from the state of Ohio this spring. In this place is a small branch of the church just organized with six members. We stayed with them until the next Tuesday and help meeting on Sunday.

July 3rd, Wednesday. This day we left them and found wet traveling the most of the day. We stopped that night with a man by the name of Marshall. He was a gentleman and used us well. The next morning after we left him we (from here to the end of this sentence crossed out) until found that he was the Whig candidate for vice president and H. Clay was his uncle.

Thursday July 4th. We found very good roads this day which was a new thing to us. We stopped that night on the east side of a little village by the name of (ends here).

Friday July 5. We had passed through the finest country that we had seen since we left home and before night we arrived at the place where Brother Baldwin and I had raised up a branch of the church nine ago. We called on Brother Hanks and he was glad to see us. We intended to stop a while in this place. As yet we have preached but little for we could not get the chance, but we have spent much time in talking with the people where we stopped over night or where we took dinner and I believe that we have sown seed by the way that will finally grow up to the glory of God. We had for some time past been learning of a difficulty said to have taken place in Nauvoo, that the dissenters from the church had their printing press destroyed by the Mormons and that a dreadful time was taking place, but we had but little attention to it for we did not believe it. But directly after we got to this place we found that the newspaper containing the intelligence that Joseph and Hyrum were put in Carthage Jail (it did not say for what) that the Governor had promised them protection, and that he had placed a guard too for that purpose, but not withstanding that, a mob with painted faces broke into the prison and shot Joseph Smith through the body, and Hiram through the head and that both were killed and that their bodies were taken to Nauvoo to be buried. And the papers represented affairs in that place to be in a most desperate condition, and that the extermination of the church was unavoidable. I did not believe all the story but I thought that something serious [was] in progress and as I expected a letter in a few days I waited with as much patience as possible. We waited until the 20th day of July and as we got no letter and as the reports respecting the troubles at Nauvoo was established by the papers, we concluded to go home and on Sunday 21st we started and arrived at Nauvoo on the 29th of July and found that Brother Joseph and Hiram Smith had been murdered in the jail at Carthage, the full account of which can be found in the papers printed at Nauvoo.

(blank page)

George W. Falconar

(sketch of what appears to be the windows on the Nauvoo temple)

(next page)

May 30th 1835. Levi Jackman and Caleb Baldwin came to the flat branch and tarried with the brethren four days, strengthening them with doctrine and exhortation. They had much rejoicing, God poured out his spirit in a marvelous manner. We believe them to be men of God.

Eleazer Miller

Avery Smith

Elders of the Church

(next page)

Different changes of the moon


Summer Winter
Between Midnight and2 in the morning Rain Hard frost night
Between 2 and 4 Cold with frequent showers Wind (?), snow & stormy
4 and 6 Rain Rain
6 and 8 Wind & rain Stormy
8 and 10 changeable Cold if wind west, snow if east
10 and 12 Frequent showers Cold and high rains
12 to 2 pm Very rainy Snow or rain
2 to 4 Changeable Fair & mild
4 to 6 Fair Fair
6 to 8 Fair if wind NW, rainy if S or SW Fair if W, N or NE, rain or Sn. if S or SW
8 to 10 Ditto Ditto
10 to 12 fair Fair and frosty


(next page)

Mendota, Riley Co.

William Buell

Inee M. Baley Nauvoo

Christopher Cetchum, Flat Branch

Wash away thy sins

Acts 22nd chapter, 16


Good ideas 1st Cor 4, 13-14

Leave a Reply